Promoting a local business directory isn’t easy these days. Whether it’s because of oversaturation or complicated search engine algorithms, it’s all too easy to feel like no one will be able to find your business in local search results. | Business Directories
With exponential growth in “near-me” searches showing no signs of slowing down, getting your name in free local business directories can be the best way to easily (and affordably!) promote your business. . Here are 25 free local business directories for businesses and clinics of all sizes. | Business Directories
Luckily, using business directory websites is an easy way to improve your local SEO. All you have to do is list your business in online business directories such as Yellow Pages, Manta, and more. This is called building citations, and it’s a critical piece of a local marketing strategy. | Business Directories
Today, Google is inserting itself more frequently between consumer and local business websites. For proof, you need look no further than Google My Business, Accelerated Mobile Pages (AMP), Featured Snippets, and most importantly, Local Packs.
By creating citations, you can ensure that you appear in these local packs when people search for businesses like yours in their area. Business directories may seem like a thing of the past, but they are a great way to grow your presence online.
What is a local business directory?
A local business directory lists important information including your business hours, location and contact information, along with pictures and other relevant information (eg, reviews or other links). They can be as hyperlocal as the free local directory of Jewish businesses in Baltimore or as global as Google Business (the largest and most powerful business directory).
These listings pop up as organic search results on search engines. Google’s business listing appears on a map or at the top of search results.
You can improve visibility by listing your local business’ NAP (Name, Address, Phone Number) on directories, online business listing sites, and citation sites. Aside from improving your local SEO, these can also improve your rankings on search engines because the listings usually link back to your site.
Make sure your company listing has the following information once you add it to a directory:
- Consistent NAP. If you add or update your business on multiple business listing sites, make sure you’re providing the same company information across each directory.
- A link to your website. Backlinks — also known as inbound links — are crucial to your company website’s Domain Rating. Consider adding a tracking link at the end of this URL as well, so you can see how much traffic your website specifically gets from the business directories that are linking to it.
- A company description. Make sure you have a detailed description of your business that reflects your organization’s mission, culture, and values.
- Multimedia. Give company searchers a visual taste of your business with a picture or video of your office, your employees, or your daily business operations.
There are plenty of location-specific and industry-specific business listing sites where you can submit your data. To start promoting your local business, however, you should start with the big sites and work your way toward the more niche directories.
First, let’s go over the top free business directories.
Free Business Listings
- Apple Maps
- Google My Business
- LinkedIn Company Directory
- Super Pages
Online Directories for Local Businesses
When it comes to listing your business online, you aren’t limited to just using the free sites above. We’ve compiled the best directories on the web to list your business.
- Google My Business (Domain Rating = 98)
- Facebook Pages (Domain Rating = 100)
- Instagram for Business (Domain Rating = 99)
- LinkedIn Company Directory (Domain Rating = 98)
- Apple Maps (Domain Rating = 97)
- Yelp (Domain Rating = 95)
- Bing (Domain Rating = 93)
- HubSpot’s Solutions Directory (Domain Rating = 93)
- Better Business Bureau (Domain Rating = 93)
- MapQuest (Domain Rating = 91)
- Foursquare (Domain Rating = 91)
- Angi, FKA Angie’s List ( Domain Rating = 91)
- Thumbtack (Domain Rating = 90)
- Yellow Pages (Domain Rating = 90)
- Nextdoor (Domain Rating = 89)
- Manta (Domain Rating = 87)
- Merchant Circle (Domain Rating = 85)
- YellowBook.com (Domain Rating = 81)
- ChamberofCommerce.com (Domain Rating = 81)
- Dun & Bradstreet Business Directory (Domain Rating = 79)
- Brownbook.net (Domain Rating = 79)
- Local.com (Domain Rating = 78)
- Turbify (Domain Rating = 78)
- EZlocal (Domain Rating = 77)
- eLocal.com (Domain Rating = 77)
- EBusinessPages (Domain Rating = 76)
- City Squares (Domain Rating = 75)
- BOTW (Domain Rating = 74)
- iBegin (Domain Rating = 73)
- Neustar Localeze (Domain Rating = 73)
- Spoke (Domain Rating = 73)
- GoLocal247 (Domain Rating = 73)
- Call Up Contact (Domain Rating = 73)
- n49.com (Domain Rating = 73)
- Cybo (Domain Rating = 73)
- Just Landed (Domain Rating = 72)
- Tuugo.us (Domain Rating = 72)
- Lacartes (Domain Rating = 72)
- City Local Pro (Domain Rating = 72)
- Yellow.Place (Domain Rating – 72)
- Hub.biz (Domain Rating = 72)
- Cylex US (Domain Rating = 72)
- Fyple.com (Domain Rating = 68)
- Opendi.us (Domain Rating = 67)
- ExpressBusinessDirectory.com (Domain Rating = 66)
- My Huckleberry (Domain Rating = 65)
- Bizhwy.com (Domain Rating = 65)
- DirJournal.com (Domain Rating = 58)
- USdirectory.com (Domain Rating = 58)
- Finduslocal.com (Domain Rating = 56)
We used a few parameters to decide which directories would make it onto the list.
Domain rating is a score that’s given to websites to reflect how well they rank on Google based on their backlink profile. The minimum score is 0 and the maximum score is 100. Domain rating is similar, but not the same as, domain authority.
Our minimum required domain rating for the directories on this list was 50. We gathered the data from Ahrefs in November 2022.
We compiled this list for use by any business. Regardless of your industry or target market, you can submit your business to all of the above directories.
To make it onto this list, the directory had to be categorized as General. The only exception is HubSpot’s solution directory, which is categorized as Marketing/Advertising.
Add Your Local Business to Online Directories
Making sure that you have a presence where your potential customers might find you is critical to any local marketing plan. It’s critical to build citations not only for the added visibility but for the SEO benefits, too. Add your local business to some of these business listings and directories today — and watch your business and customer base grow.
How to find more local business directories
The free business directories above are global, but what if you’re looking for more focused and local options? Try the following:
- Make sure the settings on your search engine are accurate for your location, and then search for “top local directories”
- Search using your location plus one of the following words or phrases: directory, add your site, add your business, or recommended links
Even if you really want to focus on staying small and serving your community with hyperlocal directories, it’s still a good idea to list your business on a few of the larger directories.
While getting listed on a free local business directories may be good for your bottom line, at Boost, we know you don’t have all day to pick which one is best for you. Local business listings are just one of the SEO strategies we use at Boost.